APASS to host annual Luau

Authors: Andy Dose

The Hui ‘O Hawai’i club, based out of CSU’s Asian-Pacific American Student Services office, will hold the 22nd annual luau in the Lory Student Center’s east ballroom Sunday.

Meaghan Mulcahy, Hui ‘O Hawai’i vice president in charge of the luau, said the luau features food and dancing native to Hawaii to provide an entertaining evening for the community.

“The main thing is the food, since everything in Hawaii is about food,” Mulcahy said. “Otherwise, we have a show that lasts about two hours, and in it we have a lot of dancing: hula dancing, Tahitian dancing – we get the audience up and dancing too.”

Tickets for the luau cost $19 for CSU students and $22 for non-students. Each year, the event draws enough people to push the 525-person capacity limit of the ballroom, Mulcahy said.

Preparation for the luau began its usual full intensity at the beginning of this semester, with weekly planning meetings and practices for the dancers featured at the annual event.

“We’ve been planning since last semester, but we’ve hit the ground running this semester,” Mulcahy said. “We’ve had committee meetings every week since the middle of February, and the dancers practice 3 or 4 nights a week for a couple of hours for all the various dances, about 18 (altogether).”

Part of the planning process involves shipping supplies from Hawaii to contribute to various aspects of the luau, which is a major part of the whole experience, Mulcahy said.

Mulcahy said one of the most popular aspects of the luau is the food and materials sent from Hawaii, such as fresh pineapples and tealeaves used for the construction of skirts and various things for dancing.

Despite the unforeseen bankruptcy of Aloha Airlines, the airline Hui ‘O Hawai’i relies on for shipping the cargo, “everything seems to be falling nicely into place.” Mulcahy said.

Staff writer Andy Dose can be reached at news@collegian.com