Authors: Stephen Meyers

Jack Christiansen Track will be a hopping place on campus this weekend starting at 11 a.m. today, as the CSU track and field team will host the Glenn Morris Invitational today and Friday and then turn around on Saturday and host the Jack Christiansen Invitational.

The Glenn Morris Invitational features both the heptathlon and decathlon and will give the multi-event athletes the opportunity to square up against some of the best heptathlon and decathlon athletes in the region. CSU boasts three of the best multi-event athletes in the country: seniors Katie Lloyd and Emily Pearson in the heptathlon, and senior Kevin Johnson in the decathlon.

Lloyd is the current CSU record holder in the heptathlon and has won four Mountain West championship heptathlon titles.

Pearson is following just behind Lloyd, as she was just four points shy of the school record earlier this season at the Texas Relays.

“Emily is one of the best heptathlon athletes in the country,” CSU track and field coach Brian Bedard said. “She has been competing with more confidence and is believing more in herself lately. It is no surprise to us coaches that she is competing so well.”

Johnson, whose career best in the decathlon is 7,151 points, will be the front-runner this weekend and, according to coach Bedard, will be looking to break the track record held by former Ram Doug Crumb.

Following the pentathlon and decathlon on Friday will be the men’s and women’s hammer throw.

On Saturday the Rams begin the Jack Christensen Invitational, which is the last home meet of the season. It is traditionally the largest meet of the year, drawing around 20 schools.

“We should have solid competition at our last home meet,” Bedard said. “The Jack Christensen Invitational is usually our largest meet with very good competition.”

Two of CSU’s top throwers, junior Missy Faubus and senior Jason Schutz, will instead travel to California for the UCSD-Triton Invitational with the opportunity to throw against some of the nation’s best.

Five of the distance runners will also be out of the state, running at the Oregon Relays. Senior Andres Urbina, junior Kirsten Anthony, sophomore Kristen Hemphill, and freshmen Ellie Rastill and Jake Keyser make up the quintet headed to Oregon.

The Jack Christiansen track is located on the east edge of campus.

Sports writer Stephen Meyers can be reached at sports@collegian.com.