Authors: Nick Hemenway

Over the last two years, I have enjoyed discussing countless political topics with all of you.

It has been very fun for me to witness some of the discussions that have resulted from them. However, as my time here at CSU is coming to an end, I feel that I would be neglectful if I did not discuss with you the single most important part of my life – my relationship with Jesus Christ.

I realize some of you may expect a rant and rave about fire and brimstone, but that is not what I want to tell you about. I want to tell you that God loves you, no matter what you think of him.

I believe that nearly 2,000 years ago, God sent his one and only son Jesus Christ to earth to die on the cross. He did this to pay the price for all of our sins, even though we didn’t deserve it – the ultimate display of grace.

Many people think being a Christian is living by a big list of do’s and don’ts, but it’s not. The only thing God wants from us is our hearts. John 3:16 says “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”

We all sin, starting with me. I screw up on a daily basis, yet my salvation is secure in His arms. God only asks that we believe in him, and we will join him in eternity.

Isn’t that an amazing deal? We get to hang out in heaven with the Creator of the universe forever, and all we have to do is accept his free gift!

Romans 10:9 says, “If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.”

So many times I meet college students who are looking for fulfillment in their lives, yet they don’t know where to look. I am here to tell you that God will give you peace beyond all measure, and all you have to do is ask.

When we believe in Him for salvation, we are set free from the clutches of sin, and we are free to experience his holy presence.

My personal favorite verse in the Bible is Galatians 2:20, which says, “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.”

Christ gave himself for me. Yes, Jesus the Son of God willingly laid down his life so that Nick Hemenway could spend eternity with God.

God doesn’t care if you are conservative or liberal, what you have done in the past or are doing now; he just wants a personal relationship with you. It is my hope and prayer that each and every one of you would know Christ.

If you want to know more about God and his love, please don’t hesitate to ask someone. There are numerous on-campus ministries such as the Navigators or Campus Crusade who would love to help you get to know Christ. Find someone involved in one of those groups, and they can help you find the answers to any questions you may have.

Thanks for reading.

Nick Hemenway is a senior mechanical engineering major. His column appears Wednesdays in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.