Authors: Matt L. Stephens

Sophomore Emily Neal and freshmen Elle Queen and Lauren Young have signed their official releases for “different reasons” and are no longer members of the CSU women’s basketball team, Queen said.

The three Minnesota natives were all important role players for the Rams this past season, especially Neal, who put up a 17-point performance in the upset of 12th ranked Utah in the Mountain West Conference tournament quarterfinal.

With the announcement of Neal, Queen and Young being released, the program has now lost eight players in two seasons to reasons other than graduation.

“It was a personal decision.” Queen said, “I think all three of our decisions were for different reasons.

“I am going to be taking visits within the next few weeks and making a decision after that. I’m not announcing where I am going to visit, but I will be deciding before school is out.”

Queen was granted a blanket release, which means she will be allowed to transfer to another Mountain West Conference school if she wishes. While Queen says she will definitely be going to an NCAA school next season, she and Young could transfer to either an NJCAA (junior college) or NAIA school and not have to sit out a year due to the NJCAA and NAIA being separate governing bodies than the NCAA.

Neal, however, will have to transfer to an NAIA school if she wishes to play next season without sitting out because of her current sophomore status eliminates her from being NJCAA eligible.

Queen also clarified with the Collegian about when she signed the release papers.

“Monday after I got back from spring break (March 24th), I asked coach (Jen) Warden for my release and I signed my release papers on Tuesday . I never met with anyone in the athletic department other than Christine Susemihl,” Queen said.

Former head Warden was fired the day after Queen signed her release.

“Coach Holt is looking for players who are 100 percent dedicated to this team and I don’t think that would include me,” Queen said.

Emily Neal and Lauren Young were not available for comment.