Authors: Adam Bohlmeyer

Coming into the spring season, CSU football coach Steve Fairchild had a basic list of things he wanted to accomplish. Now, at the conclusion of the season, the first-year coach has satisfied some of them, but has many more he is still looking for.

The Rams finished up their spring season Saturday afternoon with an inter squad scrimmage. Fans scattered throughout Hughes Stadium to see the defense defeat the offence 49-35.

The Rams’ defense played tough, holding the offense to 296 total yards while grabbing four interceptions and a sack.

Senior Klint Kubiak was pleased with how the defense preformed Saturday, saying that winning goes a long ways in developing for next season.

“We came out pretty fast, and I think we got most of our package in,” the safety said. “It gives us a lot of confidence after playing this way today and going into next year.”

On the offensive side of the ball, the Rams rushing game shined, led by senior Kyle Bell.

The veteran Ram ran for 31 yards on three carries, including a 24-yard scamper in which he was knocked out of bounds just yards before the end zone.

Bell gave credit to the defense for playing tough, but said it was a productive day for both sides of the ball.

“The defense came out and had a good day and were playing pretty well,” he said. “The format was a little different, but we got a lot done. My goal coming in was to have the best spring possible and to make myself and my team better so we could be more of a unit.”

Looking back on the spring season, Fairchild said his team accomplished many of the basic goals he was hoping for.

“In the spring we wanted to install the offense, install the defense, get some work on special teams,” he said, “really just learn how to practice and maybe not have one of those bad days when you don’t get anything done. I think we accomplished that.”

Greg Peterson, the Rams’ offensive coordinator, said he was happy with the competition he saw during the scrimmage and throughout the spring.

“You want to have competition,” he said. “We established this spring that we want guys who can compete and we carried that through practice.”

Kubiak was impressed with how much work his team did during the spring, giving Fairchild and his staff credit for the job they have already done.

“Coach Fairchild did a great job coming in,” he said. “He coached us extremely hard at a very high tempo. We did a lot more live than we’ve ever done before, so just the thud, the tempo, everything was up a notch. He’s done a good job putting us ahead of where we were last year.”

Although he is happy with the progress the Rams have made, Fairchild can still see much more that can be improved and said he hopes that all of the spring practices pay off down the road.

“We’ve got a long ways to go,” he said. “There are certainly some holes and some areas that we have to improve on. We’re learning how to work every day and to come out to practice with an edge. We just need to go in August and not take a step back.”

Sports reporter Adam Bohlmeyer can be reached at sports@collegian.com.