CSU goes 2-2 over weekend

Authors: Rachel KnoxStutsman

The CSU softball team started a busy weekend in dramatic fashion with a doubleheader sweep of the UNLV Rebels Friday afternoon at Ram Field. The Rams’ luck changed, however, when San Diego State came to town Saturday and Sunday, defeating the Rams in a pair of close games.

The Rams (23-18, 3-7) came from behind in both games of Friday’s doubleheader to win 14-13 in the first game with a walk off RBI single by freshman Kayla Kreutzman that drove in freshman Sarah Sullivan. In the second game, a walk-off home run by Robyn Mask gave the Rams a thrilling 7-6 victory.

With the Rams down 6-4 in the sixth inning of the second game, senior third baseman Lauren Cusick hit her 15th home run of the season to get CSU a run closer, at 6-5, breaking the Rams’ single season home run record.

Junior Kim Klabough pitched both of Friday’s games and pitched into the seventh inning of Saturday afternoon’s game against the Aztecs (35-13, 7-3), but could not get the last out.

“We had momentum coming into the game but couldn’t get clutch hits. They had the clutch hits.” Rams coach Mary Yori said of Saturday’s loss. “They got the bases clearing triple.”

That bases clearing triple came in the top of the sixth inning off the bat of sophomore outfielder Brittany Knudsen.

The Rams could not get anything across against the Aztecs ace Christina Ross, who pitched a complete game, allowing one run on six hits. Ross struck out five and walked one to advance to 22-10 on the season.

CSU may not have had the clutch hits Saturday, but the defense was there. In the fourth inning, Mask made a sliding catch to get an out. Senior third baseman Lauren Cusick, sophomore catcher Ashley Munoz and senior first baseman Julia Kloppe turned a double play to end the top of the fifth. And in the seventh, Cusick tagged out Tonye McCorckle as she slid into third for the second out of the inning.

“It’s disappointing to lose a close game,” Mask said

In Sunday’s series finale against the Aztecs, Cusick belted home run No. 16 and the 34th of her carreer. With 34 home runs, Cusick set a new school record for career home runs, surpassing the previous record set by Brittany Huerta. Huerta played for the Rams from 2004-2007.

Junior Shannon Causgrove also had a pinch hit two run shot in the sixth inning, driving in the final runs of the game.

Rebecca Penland started the game in the circle, pitching 3.2 innings and allowing four runs on five hits.

The home stand continues next weekend when the New Mexico Lobos make a visit to Ram Field for a two game series.

Sports writer Rachel Knox-Stutsman can be reached at spors@collegian.com.