Authors: Andy Dose

In response to a Collegian staff editorial earlier this semester that challenged the administration to visit Student Media, Blanche Hughes, vice president of Student Affairs, spent an evening with CSU’s Student Media Monday to experience what goes on behind the scenes of KCSU, CTV and the Collegian.

“This is a laboratory for students,” Hughes said. “Students are learning how to do things that professionals would do, so it helps prepare you to be professionals if you choose to do this. I just think that’s the neatest thing in the world.”

Starting at 3 p.m., Hughes took a tour of Student Media, sat in with one of KCSU DJs and observed a typical evening with Collegian staff, finishing the visit by staying until Tuesday’s edition of the paper was finished past 11 p.m.

Collegian Editor-in-Chief J. David McSwane said Hughes’ visit is an important connection between administration and CSU’s Student Media.

“I’m glad she came down to check out how Student Media operates, because she’s heading the Collegian Advisory Committee, which is charged with possibly changing the way Student Media operates as a whole,” McSwane said. “I think it’s a good connection for the administration to make with Student Media, and we welcome that.”

Staff writer Andy Dose can be reached at news@collegian.com.