Authors: Sean Reed

Mike Rager, a junior speech communication major, business minor and president of the InterFraternity Council, took a few moments out of his day to let the Collegian know why Greek life is a positive force at CSU.

Q: What do you think of when you think of Greek Life at CSU?

A: When I think of CSU Greek culture, I think of a culture that is improving year after year in establishing their values at the Colorado State University Campus.

Q: What do you think is the purpose of Greek Life on a university campus?

A: To get people involved. Some may use it for a connection for business, some may use it for brotherhood or sisterhood, some may use it for philanthropy purpose.

But I think, in general, it gives students a way and a means of getting involved in the university and just finding other organizations to get involved with.

Q: Do you think the stereotypes of Greek Life are fair?

A: No. I think it’s a small percentage of the Greek population that gives the rest a bad name.

So it takes two or three members of any Greek organization to give everybody else a bad name.

John Burak, a senior computer science major, sat down to give the Collegian insight into why some may not be so fond of Greek Life on campus.

Q: What do you think about Greek Life?

A: Generally I don’t. I don’t really have much interest or respect for the Greek societies.

Q: What do you think is the purpose of Greek organizations?

A: Anymore I think it’s just to make people feel like they belong to something.

Q: Do you think there is hostility toward Greeks on college campuses?

A: I think that there is some, especially from the standpoint of people who don’t like partying.

Q: Do you think there are other reasons?

A: There might be because there’s a certain stereotype, especially about frat boys that they like to be macho and intimidating and stuff, so I know there’s certain social groups that really don’t like them at all.