Authors: Rachel KnoxStutsman

The Rams softball team (20-12, 1-1 MWC) split their doubleheader on the road against Utah to open conference play Thursday. They won the first game 13-9 and lost the nightcap, 7-2.

Junior Kim Klabough pitched 5.2 innings, allowing four runs on eight hits to earn the victory in the opener. With the victory, she improves her record to 6-7 on the season.

The Rams scored their first run in the top of the second inning, tying the game at 1-1. In the next inning the team scored twice with senior third baseman Lauren Cusick and sophomore Allison Majam each slamming homeruns. The Utes rallied in the bottom half of the inning with four runs to take back the lead.

CSU’s next outburst of offense came in the fifth with three runs. From there the teams traded runs ending the regulation seven innings in a 7-7 tie. The Rams wrapped it in the eighth with six runs, led by senior first baseman Julia Kloppe’s three RBIs. Utah countered with two runs in the bottom half of the inning, but their rally fell short.

In the second game, the Rams fell behind 5-0 by the third inning and could not stop the Utes. A late home run by Cusick, her second of the day, highlighted CSU’s offensive efforts. Erin Daugharthy pitched 2.2 innings for the Rams, allowing four runs on six hits in the loss.

The Rams suit up next against the BYU Cougars in Provo, Utah at 5:00 pm today.

Softball beat writer Rachel Knox-Stutsman can be reached at sports@collegian.com.

Game 1:

Score by Innings R H E

——————————————

Colorado State…… 012 031 06 – 13 15 1

Utah……………. 104 000 22 – 9 14 2

——————————————

Win – KLABOUGH, K. (6-7). Loss – PARKER (7-9).

E – STEM, C.; BOARDMAN; MUIR. DP – CS 1. LOB – CS 8; Utah 11. 2B – MUNOZ, A.; PENLAND, R.; PHILLIPS. HR – CUSICK, L. 2; MAJAM, A.; KLOPPE, J.; FOSTER. SB – FOSTER. CS – REYNOLDS, M..

Game 2:

Score by Innings R H E

—————————————–

Colorado State…… 000 001 1 – 2 7 0

Utah……………. 005 002 X – 7 11 2

—————————————–

Win – SMUDA (11-8). Loss – DAUGHARTHY, (1-1).

E – QUINTERO; FONOTI. DP – CS 1. LOB – CS 7; Utah 3. 2B – MAJAM, A.; QUINTERO; MUIR 2. HR – CUSICK, L.; FOSTER. SB – MAJAM, A.