Authors: kelly bleck

After weeks of sleepless nights and toil to put together the best outfits they could muster, students from the Department of Design and Merchandising had the opportunity to showcase their work Monday in Lory Student Center.

Senior designers created and produced clothing lines presented in the Avant Garden, Where Couture is Cultivated show, to complete their capstone class.The 25 seniors funded and produced the clothing out of their own pockets. They had to research their assigned target markets and present their ideas to the class as textiles, swatches and initial concepts.

Designer Jessica Polzin, a senior apparel and merchandising major, said, “The (designing) process started at the beginning of last summer, before the class even started. I saw the dress rehearsal earlier and the models and clothes came out well.”

Other design students applied for four committees focused on hospitality and

promotion, garments, modeling and facility and stage design.

“I helped create the advertisements,” said Lauren Kiebel, a senior apparel and merchandising major and member of the hospitality and promotion committee. “We all had to apply for these positions and it’s a great way to understand how hard it is to put together such a large event.”

The committees were provided with a small budget, so donations were a key

element.

“There were a lot of sleepless nights,” said Cassie Perkins, a senior apparel and merchandising major and member of the facility and stage design committee. “It’s an intense process, receiving donations, designing and making sure the whole thing goes off fine.”

Fliers were posted for potential models with 57 chosen, five per designed line. They were assisted by Tuana Hair Design and had makeup done by MAC.

“I’m a design major, but after performing and seeing how the show worked, I may switch to backstage,” said freshman model Tiffany Knauer.

Emcee Paul Wozniak, from the radio station TRI 102.5, and Maggie Ireland, Miss Colorado 2007, announced the Designer Awards on Tuesday.

Staff writer Kelly Bleck can be reached at news@collegian.com.

WINNERS

Best Sales Presentation: Theresa Mornis, FCS

Best Specialty Sport Line:

Randi Robb, One Fowl Fit

Best Line Concept:

Kimberly Schmidt, Condesa Intimates

Best Historic Inspiration:

Chelsey Hall, Matezo Inappropriate Behavior

Best Art-Wear Line:

Taryn Slawson, T. Partie Couture

Best Eco Fashion Line:

Rebekah Thrasher, Serpents & Doves

Best Representation of Target Market:

Lorna Bogan, Lorna Rae Kids

Best Mass Market Line: Pintheera Rojanavongse, Pim

Best of Show: Tacey Jones, Tacey Nicole