Generally, voting kind of sucks.

For going out of his or her way to place a vote, a citizen is rewarded with long lines, flawed voting machines and a crappy little sticker. With this in mind, is it any wonder that the youth population doesn’t bother to turnout to most general elections?

Equate this into local elections, and you see youth turnout get cut in half. Go a step further, with the ASCSU elections, and its’ embarrassingly grim.

But, that’s to be expected. It’s hard for the average student to identify with the student candidates they rarely see or know anything about, unless they’re voting for a friend or an acquaintance of some sort. That’s just the general truth.

However, it’s important to remember that these people will be influencing your life on campus. One candidate might support funding your club or organization.

Meanwhile the other candidate could be the one who uses that money to bring some big name band to CSU (we’re divisive on the issue of using student fees for a concert, but if they’re going to bring anyone, Lupe Fiasco, Wolfmother or Velvet Revolver would be safe picks).

To the untrained eye, it might seem that each ticket is preaching the same sermon: more transparency, eco-friendly campus and the continued battle for better textbook prices.

But there are differences, and however minor they might be, it could be the difference between seeing a year of achievements and a year where nothing gets accomplished.