T.G. Taylor and all other Brian Lancaster haters: Have any of you ever read, “A Modest Proposal” by Jonathan Swift? I didn’t think so.

In this essay, written in 1729, Jonathan Swift suggests that the Irish sell their children into poverty and even discusses how a year-old child makes a great meal.

Now, I don’t know about all of you, but I don’t believe that Mr. Swift wrote this book thinking that many Irish would eat their children, or sell their children into poverty. No, Jonathan Swift used a unique literary device known as satire.

Satire is defined as a noun meaning the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc.

I believe that both of Brian Lancaster’s articles are hilarious because of their use of satire.

In his first article, “How to get your dream date,” he was not suggesting that men across campus go sneaking into women’s purses, or letting snakes into class, but merely showing us — through the use of satire — that this is the wrong way to go about courting a young woman.

In the article about driving around Fort Collins, Mr. Lancaster is not suggesting that we run over bikers, he is merely using sarcasm as a way of creating humor.

The Collegian is much too serious, and I, for one, enjoyed the humorous value of Mr. Lancaster’s articles.

Paul Davenport

Sophomore, history