Track hosts Upton Invite

Authors: Stephen Meyers

The CSU track and field team will host the Rob Upton Invitational this weekend at Jack Christiansen Track, where a majority of the team will make their 2008 outdoor season debut.

The Rams will compete against schools from across the state, including the University of Northern Colorado, Western State, Adams State, Mountain West Conference mate Wyoming and rival CU.

“There will be upwards of about 400 athletes competing here this weekend, and in addition to family and friends showing up to watch, this is going to be a busy place this weekend,” CSU coach Brian Bedard said.

While most of the team was on vacation for spring break last weekend, some members competed at the CU Potts Invitational in Boulder. This weekend the entire team will be competing.

“Last weekend’s meet was optional for the athletes since spring break was going on, and for those who did stay and compete, they will have a little bit of an advantage over the athletes starting their season this weekend,” Bedard said.

Among those making their season debut on Saturday is senior multi-event specialist Katie Lloyd. Lloyd has won four MWC championship multi-event titles and is the school record holder in both the indoor pentathlon and outdoor heptathlon.

“I think everyone’s ready to compete this weekend. We’ve been looking forward to it all winter, and most of all I think the athletes are anxious to see where they’re at and see all that training we have done pay off,” Bedard said.

Sophomore thrower Tyson Williams is ready to take his talent from the indoor track to the outside throwing rings, where the discus or shot put will travel further.

“I prefer the outdoor season to the indoor, and I’m pretty excited to get out and compete and finally get the chance to throw farther,” Williams said.

Junior thrower Missy Faubus hopes to see a big turnout show up and watch the team compete on Saturday.

“It would be fantastic to see some CSU students show up and watch, even if it’s for a part of the meet,” Faubus said. “It’s always more fun to compete with a crowd cheering us on and seeing what we can do.”

Faubus was one of the team members to participate at the CU Potts Invitational, and she along with fellow thrower Meagan Berg, hit NCAA regional qualifying marks. Berg, a sophomore, threw a personal best 186’11” in the hammer throw while Faubus threw 166’2″ in the discus.

Faubus is modest despite already throwing a regional qualifying mark.

“I feel like I’m off to a decent start; I’m ready for this weekend, and my goal now is to record a P.R. (personal record) in the shot and the hammer,” she said.

The meet begins at 10 a.m. Saturday with the hammer throw, while running events start at 11:45, kicking off with the women’s 5,000-meter. Jack Christensen Track is located on the east side of campus across the railroad tracks.

Sports writer Stephen Meyers can be reached at sports@collegian.com.