Letters to the editor

In response to Wednesday’s Our View titled, “Never forget Holocaust lessons,” I first want to thank you.

The atrocities of that time should never be forgotten, and we should help to ensure that they aren’t. They were real horrors happening to real people and could have been stopped except for the “inaction of otherwise good people, who stood by while their leaders and countrymen carried out these atrocities.”

But remembering history and applying it are two very different things. I wanted to take your column a step further and point out that perhaps we, the Americans of 2008, are not so far removed from those 50 years ago.

According to the World Health Organization, 1.4 of 0-14-year-olds in developed countries, like the U.S., died from infectious and parasitic diseases in 2002. Twenty-six in 10,000 children under 14 in high-mortality developing countries, many in Southeast Asia and Africa, saw the same fate.

Like many of the Holocaust victims, these children’s “only crime, apparently, was their birth.” Were developing countries’ same level of care given to the entire world, the lives of 2.5 million children could be saved every year — and that’s just children — and that’s just infectious diseases.

Will we be the generation who remained indifferent to an eerily familiar “tragic loss of life” for the sake of our own comfort and pleasure?

The images of the Holocaust can and should never fade away, but I implore you to use your voice to advocate against creating even more.

Jonathon Higgins

Senior,

microbiology major