Authors: Sean Reed

Kate Quillin, a junior social work and sociology major and the Key Service Partnership Coordinator, was kind enough to take some time out of her weekend to give the Collegian the skinny on the Alternative Spring Break program.

Q: What are your plans for spring break?

A: I’m doing alternative spring break in New Orleans. We’re going to be working with the St. Bernard’s project rebuilding homes in the lower ninth ward.

Q: What exactly is Alternative Spring Break?

A: [Alternative Spring Break] is composed of very different programs throughout CSU. The program I’m with is through the Student Leadership, Involvement and Civic Engagement office. There’s eight Alternative Spring Breaks this year, with about 100 people involved in it — all students — traveling to different parts of the country, and actually internationally.

There’s one going to Juarez, Mexico, to Panama, to Catalina Island, California, to San Juan, Texas, Washington D.C., L.A., New York, Tennessee and then Florida, all with different issues. Everything from children with terminal illnesses to environmental issues.

Q: You said your trip is sponsored by the SLiCE Office. Are other trips sponsored by different offices?

A: No. All trips are sponsored by the SLiCE Office except . the Juarez trip is sponsored in partnership with the SLiCE Office and [the Office of Women’s Programs and Studies] because of the focus on femicide.

I know there are other alternative trips, but they are religious based through Navigators and different organizations on campus.

Q: Have you participated in Alternative Spring Break before?

A: Yeah. This is actually my third trip. Last year I went to San Juan, Texas and worked with immigration issues. And then last summer — they have summer and winter alternative break trips also — and I went to Camp Campbell in northern California and was going to camp with inner-city fifth graders.

Cassie Rosch, a junior sociology and ethnic studies major, sat down with the Collegian and chatted with us about her spring break plans.

A: I’m going to spend the first five days in Wisconsin visiting my family and then the last five days or so in New Mexico visiting a friend from this camp that I volunteered at.

Q: How did you decide what your plans were for this year?

A: I needed to go home for my cousin’s wedding and then just to see my family because I don’t get to see them very often. And then New Mexico, I met this girl at camp last year and she’s doing a term of service with Americore and so I’m going to go volunteer with her and then kind of hang out and see Santa Fe.

Q: So you are going to be volunteering — do you plan to do a lot of sightseeing too?

A: Sure — as much as I can. I don’t know — I’ve never really been to Santa Fe. Everyone says there’s really good shopping and cool little places to go. So, yeah, we’ll sightsee for sure. I don’t really know what the sites are. We’ll see.

Q: What have you done for spring break in the past?

A: I’ve never done the cliché spring break. I either volunteer or go home because I’m not from Colorado so I don’t see my family very often. Well, last year I went to Seattle — that was fun. But I was still visiting my family.

Q: What would be your ideal spring break?

A: My ideal spring break would probably be to go to the Virgin Islands or something because I’ve never been to a resort area. So, the Virgin Islands or volunteering in some absurd country like the Dominican Republic. One of the two.