Authors: Matt L. Stephens

It’s a unanimous opinion that the CSU women’s basketball program this season has been a disappointment. The best the team can do, with one regular season game remaining, is tie the program record for least wins in a season if they were to pull an upset at New Mexico on Saturday afternoon, but if they are to fall, the Rams will set a new mark for all-time low in a regular season.

They have already set a program record for losses in one season and most consecutive losses.

The Rams’ 2008 Mountain West Conference finale at University Arena-more commonly known as “The Pit”-serves as a chance for CSU to do more than just get its first conference victory of the season; it’s an opportunity for these ladies to turn the heads of coaches for next year’s preseason MWC coaches’ poll.

After falling by five to 15th ranked Utah on Wednesday night, it seemed clear that CSU was finally clicking on all cylinders after 28 games.

“In the locker room we were talking about that if we can stay with (Utah), a ranked team, like we did with Wyoming, I think we have it in New Mexico at The Pit,” junior forward Amaka Uzomah said.

A constant throughout the conference season for the Rams has been that they play each team better the second time around. Once again, Wednesday night’s near upset helps prove that true, as CSU lost by 40 in Salt Lake City and by only five in Fort Collins.

When the Lobos and Rams last squared off at Moby Arena, New Mexico won 74-47 thanks to a huge second half by UNM’s Dionne Marsh.

“It’s our judgment week,” Rams coach Jen Warden said. “It’s the toughest place to play on the road so this is a very important week for us to put the whole thing together and I think we’re too proud and too stubborn not to play our best basketball at the end of the season before the conference tournament.

What you’re probably going to see is a real enlightened engagement because we know if we finish strong, we can beat UNLV at UNLV and bring on Utah again.”

The Rams could be without sophomore guard Emily Neal for the second consecutive game after spraining her ankle against San Diego State a week ago. Neal re-earned her starting position last time CSU and UNM met, scoring a team-high 13 points with four 3-pointers.

“(Neal) has not had any contact since the ankle sprain, we’ll probably start working her into drills Thursday and Friday-I don’t know what her status will be on Saturday.her confidence and her ability to move on it is as important,” Warden said.

Senior Kelly Rae Finley is also out to injury due to concussion syndromes and has not been practicing regularly with the team. Both Neal and Finley are officially listed as day-by-day.

CSU @ UNM

Saturday, 2 p.m.

The Pit/Bob King Court, Albuquerque, N.M.

CSU (2-26, 0-15)

Sara Hunter – G, 5-6, 10.0

Lauren Young – F, 6-2, 4.6

Elle Queen – F, 6-0, 6.3

Juanise Cornell – F, 5-10, 7.5

Amaka Uzomah – C, 6-0, 3.8

UNM (16-12, 8-7)

Brandi Kimble – G, 5-8, 9.8

Amy Beggin – G, 5-6, 11.4

*Dionne Marsh – F, 6-1, 15.4

Eileen Weissmann – F, 6-0, 3.7

Angela Hartill – C, 6-3, 6.4

*mug saved in photos under Marsh_mug