Authors: Guest columnist Jake Blumberg

CSU has gotten quite the reputation. And, believe it or not, it has nothing to do with riots, freedom of speech issues or our sports programs.

Colorado State’s rep has been sweeping the nation in a very positive way, regarding the Ram commitment to service here in Fort Collins.

Slowly but surely, we have become a campus known for our commitment to help those around us, unlike many other campuses known for parties and bonfires.

Through campus-wide events like Cans Around the Oval, the campus is uniting around the hope for making our world a better place.

It is an impressive reputation to garner, considering all we as Rams have to deal with on a daily basis.

Truly, it can be easy to become overwhelmed with tests, papers and the lure of checking how our friends are rating us on Facebook — or maybe that’s just me.

Yet when the community needs our help, the green and gold always seems to come through. It is the reason we were recently named to the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll, an award bestowed on only a limited number of institutions nationwide.

It is the reason I can honestly say we have great traditions here at CSU, traditions that bring us together as a campus focused on positively changing the world.

So, congratulations on garnering such a positive reputation my fellow Rams. Now my question for you is this: What are we going to do to keep it up?

For reputations do not simply maintain themselves.

So if we want to continue to be known for our helping hands, we need to keep reaching out to those in our community in need.

On April 12, we will have a great opportunity to reach out to numerous members of the Fort Collins community who need our help.

CSUnity is an annual project which traditionally sends over a 1,000 students into the community to do everything from cleaning up an elderly person’s yard to reconstructing a playground which has become run down.

Last year, 1,200 of us volunteered for one Saturday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. In those six hours, we truly changed the worlds of countless of our neighbors.

This year, we hope to have 1,500 Rams working together for those same six hours; if we can reach that goal, we will have completed over 100 projects in our community and dedicated 9,000 hours of community service in one day.

Additionally, every participant will receive a free breakfast and lunch, along with a t-shirt for participating.

Not a bad Saturday afternoon, if you ask me.

Applications for groups and individuals who would like to participate in CSUnity are due Friday, March 14, and are available on the SLiCE web site, www.slice.colostate.edu, and in the SLiCE office on the main level of the Lory Student Center.

One Saturday afternoon to you may mean a hike or a movie, but for those you are helping through CSUnity, it can mean the world.

Please help us keep up our reputation as a school dedicated to service, and give six hours of your semester to help change someone’s life.

Jake Blumberg is a senior technical journalism and the public relations coordinator for the Student Leadership, Involvement and Community Engagement office. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.