Barely more than a half century ago, mankind saw the damage that bigotry and indifference can cause.

Over the course of WWII, over six million men, women and children were mercilessly killed.

Among the victims were good people — loving fathers, dedicated mothers, innocent children, upstanding members of their local communities — whose only crime, apparently, was their birth into a Jewish family. Others groups persecuted by the Nazis included Gypsies, Jehovah’s Witnesses, communists, socialists and homosexuals, among others.

One of the most chilling aspects of the Holocaust, aside from the tragic loss of life, was the inaction of otherwise good people, who stood by while their leaders and countrymen carried out these atrocities.

Now, 63 years after the final surrender of the leaders of Nazi Germany, the remaining survivors of the Holocaust are nearing the ends of their lives.

When they pass on, it will represent a great loss to the movement to keep the memory of the Holocaust and its lessons alive.

There are many people today trying to erase the Holocaust from history books — among these nonbelievers are influential people, including Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, who has publicly denied the Holocaust ever happened.

When the rest of the Holocaust survivors are gone, this movement is likely to grow larger. We must do everything in our power to make sure these people are never successful.

We can never allow ourselves to forget what hate and the indifference of good men and women can do. We can never let the memory of the Holocaust fade away.

So Rams, go see survivor Zev Kedem speak today, and attend the other remaining Holocaust Awareness Week events.