Montoya to be next EIC

Authors: Aaron Hedge

Aaron Montoya, Collegian visual editor, became the editor-in-chief elect of the student paper after Board of Student Communications, the paper’s publisher, elected him into the position at the student publication for the next academic year.

“I think Aaron Montoya is a mature, responsible young man and journalist and I’m sure he’ll do a fantastic job,” said Jeff Browne, director of Student Media.

Montoya has won regional and national awards for photographs published in the Collegian, and served under guidance by editors from the New York Times and the Boston Globe to produce a 10-day student publication near the Arizona/Mexico border over winter break.

He said that he wishes to take the publication to a level where it can compete with non-student news organizations.

“I want to take this professional . product and push it further,” Montoya said.

Hailey McDonald, Collegian managing editor who has worked closely with Montoya since the beginning of summer, said Montoya is well qualified for the position and she is excited to start work under his editorship.

“I think Aaron is one of the most professional individuals who could be working on the news staff, and the professionalism he’s shown will flow into his position as editor-in-chief,” McDonald said.

Montoya said he is excited about working with the Collegian as editor.

“I am happy — I am happy to have the honor to work with this talented group of student journalists who I really admire,” he said.

News Editor Aaron Hedge can be reached at news@collegian.com.