Authors: Sean Reed

The policy allowing students to carry concealed weapons, if they have the proper permit, has been a hot topic lately in the wake of the shootings at Virginia Tech and Northern Illinois University.

Junior sports medicine major Zeke Rhodes was kind enough to sit down with the Collegian and shared with us why he is not too concerned about it.

Q: Do you support the ability of students to carry weapons on campus?

A: Yeah — if they have a concealed weapons permit.

Q: The group Students for Concealed Carry on Campus believes allowing students and faculty to carry weapons on campus will make campus safer in the event of a Virginia Tech or Northern Illinois situation. Do you think it makes students more or less safe?

A: I don’t think it would have an impact one way or another. I don’t think that the liklihood that a person carrying a gun on campus being in the same room as the shooter would occur. And then if it did occur that that person would be able to think fact enough to do anything different.

Q: Do you think current gun laws are adequate in preventing tragedies?

A: I don’t think it has to do with gun laws. You can buy an illegal gun on the streets; it doesn’t have anything to do with the law. I grew up in Africa a more strict — a strict no arms policy — and I know guys with AKs (AK-47).

Q: Do you feel comfortable knowing that in any given class the student sitting next to you could be armed?

A: If they have a concealed weapons permit, then I assume they’ve gone through the right channels. I know one of the professors here — a marine, a former marine — that I work out with, he carries a .9mm and I’m okay with that.

Robert Haus, a junior history major chatted with the Collegian about the concealed weapons policy and why he feels it’s a mixed bag.

A: I don’t know. I mean, it kind of balances out. If you want to say it’s a good thing . you’d say it continues in allowing the freedom of the choice. At the same time, how some people are these days — it’s a little weird. I don’t know how stable some people are. I don’t know — it’s just kind of mixed. I wouldn’t say it’s good, I wouldn’t say it’s bad. I think it just should be more restricted probably.

A: In general, no. I grew up in a military family so I generally just have some knowledge on guns . but I think a majority of even my friends I really wouldn’t even want the thought going through their minds of ‘hey, I’m gonna shoot this guy to prevent him from shooting 20 other people,’ because I’ve seen people that can’t hit a target three feet by four feet when it’s only ten yards away from them. So I don’t trust them in the heat of the moment to take this guy down without shooting him in the head and causing trauma for everyone else.

Q: Do you think current gun laws are adequate in preventing guns getting in the hands of the wrong people?

A: I think that the good outweighs the bad. There’s still plenty of people that recreationally use them, either for hunting or just target practice, or just self-defense. But then there are the few that may have a clean record that then make them available to people that shouldn’t have them.