After weeks of perseverance, collecting money and local support, the National Society of Collegiate Scholars is eager to bring Strange Condition to the LSC Theater on Friday at 7 p.m.

NSCS, a nationally recognized honor society on campus, had to go through considerably different means to fund the concert in order to get more students involved with service projects early in the semester.

NSCS takes part in various community service activities, including upcoming events like “A March to College Day” for elementary school students in April, “First Books” to collect books for low-income families and “I Stand for Integrity Day.”

NSCS has 853 members, but only 30 are actually active, said Anna Eder, the vice president of public relations for NSCS.

When the spring semester began, Eder says officers with the organization felt a sense of urgency to get CSU students and existing members involved in upcoming activities early in the semester, deciding to raise funds themselves rather than wait for grant approval from organizations like ASCSU and ASAP.

Because funding for campus events depends on student fees, getting money from university accounts requires a thorough application process before an event can receive funding from ASCSU, ASAP and university administration.

New officers for NSCS did not realize the three-week wait in activating a university account until after officers presented the plans and went through the process at ASCSU.

Given that they would have had to postpone the concert, NSCS members decided not to reschedule in March and took it upon themselves to raise funds and collaboratively marketed the concert.

Eder attributes much of the marketing success to Friday’s opening act, Flight Risk, whose members are involved in NSCS.

“(Flight Risk members) designed our T-shirts and made and hung up posters,” Eder said.

After a few fundraisers and sponsorship from several local businesses, NSCS say they’ve managed to wrangle enough funding to bring Strange Condition to campus.

Strange Condition is an alternative rock band and has played at CSU in the past. Jas Kasten, the Fort Collins-bred lead guitarist and manager for the band, said they have been described as a mix between the Foo Fighters and Hoobastank but like to stay versatile.

Kasten said he is happy with the mix of guys the band has right now and believes they are producing their best music yet.

“Some of our stuff we are writing now is absolutely our best,” Kasten said. “We are for sure going to play two brand new songs that aren’t on any album and they are definitely our best.”

Highlights of the band’s career thus far, Kasten said, include a few memorable performances, noting attendance up to 1,500 at the Fillmore, Budweiser Event Center and Red Rocks.

“We have played Red Rocks twice,” he said. “There is a walk-up ramp to the stage and we got to sign our names next to bands like Dave Matthews Band and Jimi Hendrix.”

This fall, one of their songs will be featured in a new series called “One Good Turn,” produced by Conrad Ricketts, who is also the executive producer of “Extreme Makeover Home-edition.”

Members of NSCS hope a popular turnout to see Strange Condition will win their organization support and bring students into a common rhythm of wanting to help the community.

Check out Strange Condition at: myspace.com/strangecondition.

Senior Reporter Kaeli West can be reached news@collegian.com.