Authors: Matt L. Stephens

LARAMIE – CSU just never had a chance. From Wyoming’s 9-2 run to start the game to its 10-4 run to start the second half, the Cowgirls has all of the momentum in their 68-46 victory over the Rams Wednesday night at Arena-Auditorium.

With the loss, CSU extended program records for the most losses in one season with 24 and the most consecutive losses with 17.

The Rams playbook was almost an exact duplicate from Sunday’s loss at the Air Force Academy, which stood the problem throughout. Wyoming (23-4, 11-3) is the 24th ranked team in the country and for a good reason, they know how to scout their opponent and every player knows how to execute when called upon.

“I think (Wyoming) watched our film too much,” CSU’s Amaka Uzomah said. “They did stop our high-low game and that’s when our guards were able to penetrate and make something out of it . In the second half we weren’t able to get the calls-we never do-so at the end I started to penetrate, I thought ‘what the heck?’ Lets see if I can make something out of this.'”

Uzomah finished with 8 points and 11 rebounds; six of her points came in the final 3:24.

CSU head coach Jen Warden said that she was proud of her girls for never quitting, even after Wyoming’s starters played for 35 minutes.

The Rams’ (2-24, 0-13) loss guarantees them the ninth seed in the Mountain West conference championship on March 1. This is the lowest seed CSU has ever received in the tournament.

Earning player of the game honors for CSU was sophomore forward Juanise Cornell, who finished the game with 12 points, 6 rebounds, 1 steal and 1 assist.

“The way we were playing tonight really helped us (post players) capitalize on our post moves.” Cornell said “They were chasing Sara (Hunter), they were chasing Brit(ney Minor), they were chasing all of our guards so that helped us get the ball down low . we had all of our guards just run in circles to help give our forwards and advantage.”

Next up for CSU is San Diego State on Saturday afternoon at 2.

Hopefully for the Rams, a new month will bring a new style of basketball to Fort Collins.

Sports writer Matt L. Stephens can be reached at sports@collegian.com.