Letters to the editor

An article from your Monday issue stated, “In May of 1970 … the National Guard shot five black students from Kent State …” This statement is an astonishing error.

The Kent State students who were shot and killed were all white. 10 days after the Kent State massacre, black students at Jackson State College, were shot dead by Mississippi police during a demonstration. Tragically this massacre is not remembered and apparently confused with Kent State.

Perhaps this reflects more ignorance than racism.

-Walter Toki

Professor, Physics

In regard to Sean Reed’s article titled “Nader candidacy could be an opportunity for Dems,” I agree with Reed’s assertion that the Democratic Party should use Nader’s candidacy (planned after John Edwards’s withdrawal from the race) to take a look at itself.

Nader takes a lot of heat from Democrats for “taking votes away” from Al Gore in 2000, but, as Nader rightfully has stated, that is exactly what candidates for president are supposed to do.

In his excellent book, “Crashing the Party,” Nader pointed out that Bill Clinton entered office in 1992 as a Democrat espousing all of the usual progressive ideals – including universal health care, decreases in poverty, and improvement in public education. Clinton then presided over the United States through the most prosperous eight years that the world and this country have ever seen.

The result was no measurable steps towards any of those goals and, in fact, a strengthening of corporate hegemony and immunity from criminal prosecution.

As Nader himself is a proclaimed progressive, why would people then question Nader’s desire to “take votes away” from said party’s presidential candidates?

I, for one, would like to express my gratitude to Mr. Nader for giving true progressives an alternative to the usual option of voting for members of either wing of the corporate party.

Furthermore, I hope that people truly listen to what Nader stands for, and then go on to vote for the candidate that they would actually like to be the President of the United States, instead of continuing to vote for, in Nader’s words, “the least worst.”

-Wayne Walker

Graduate student, English