Authors: Matt L. Stephens

COLORADO SPRINGS -When Air Force’s Pamlea Findlay hit a lay-up at the 2:44 mark of the second half to give the Falcons a 10-point lead over CSU Sunday afternoon, there was almost no question that the Rams were on their way to a 16th consecutive loss. And if that wasn’t enough of a dagger, Findlay’s coast-to-coast trip after the pocket-picking job of Elle Queen with just under a minute left was, as the Falcons went on to beat the Rams for only the 10th time ever, 62-53.

The Rams turned the ball over 24 times, versus the Falcons’ 10, which essentially out- weighed one of CSU’s best (2-23, 0-12) best shooting performances of the season.

“I thought we started off pretty well, being up by13,” freshman forward Elle Queen said. “I think where we lost it was allowing them too many offensive boards.”

AFA out rebounded CSU 16-13.

Off the bat, the Rams looked like a whole other team, as they were up 14-4 at the second media time out, shooting 50 percent from the field against AFA’s 10. The only Falcon to score until the 10:30 mark of the opening half was Alecia Steele.

That’s where CSU’s problems began.

Air Force junior Brooke Cultra started to heat up and led the Falcons on a 17-0 run, which ended up turning a 13-point CSU lead into an eight-point deficit at the half.

“Steele was who we were concerned about early, but they have a pretty even team and anyone can step up at any time-We could have done a better job defensively,” Queen said.

The second half started with Sara Hunter’s only points of the game, a 3-pointer, and the Rams eventually tied the game for one last time at 45, thanks to six quick points by Britney Minor.

But it wasn’t enough, as all momentum began to lean toward the south end of Interstate 25 with the Falcons closing the game on a 17-8 run.

Earning player of the game honors for the Rams was junior forward Carine Reimink, who scored a team-high 12 points to go along with her block and five rebounds.

“You gotta love Carine.” Rams coach Jen Warden said. “I told her that in the battle between the water and the rock, the water always wins due to its consistency. This is Carine: she played four minutes in our game against TCU and was in tears in the locker room. She becomes our starting center through work and practice and was the leading scorer in the first 20 minutes of the game.”

The 23rd loss of the season extended the program record, as did the 16th consecutive loss.

CSU travels to Laramie, Wyo., on Wednesday to face Border War rival Wyoming in the “Dome of Doom.”