ASCSU: What we’re doing

Authors: Byron Moore

We’ve been a little busy since the last column, so here’s a rundown of what has been going on.

As you may have heard, the Associated Students of Colorado State University recently passed a bill endorsing the expansion of the Student Recreation Center. The thing to note is that this isn’t the final vote on the proposed expansion. Next Wednesday, ASCSU will have a final vote on the proposed Student Recreation Center, a vote that will decide whether or not the ASCSU approves the expansion.

You may be asking yourself, “Why does the ASCSU Senate need to approve the Student Recreation Center expansion?”

Well, according to Colorado State law, any fee levied on students must have meaningful student input. This means that the ASCSU Senate has oversight over all fees levied upon students.

Here’s all that facts you need to know about the proposed Student Recreation Center:

*The total cost of the project would be $34,775,000 bond.

*This would lead to a $35 per semester increase for full time students.

*This fee would NOT be charged to students until the expansion opened in the fall of 2010.

*The money received from the bond could only be used for projects like the Student Recreation Center, and not for state funded buildings.

You may also be asking, “Why did the Senate pass this ‘with reservations?'”

Concerns were brought up in both the Student Fee Review Board and the ASCSU Senate regarding the lack of a complete breakdown of all the costs associated with the project. Another concern was the lack of alternative expansion plans for the Student Recreation Center. If you feel that you haven’t been heard on this issue, this bill will be up for its final vote this Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. in the Senate chambers. Be there if you have anything to say about this momentous issue.

ASCSU has been working on the proposed new property maintenance codes for the City of Fort Collins. There are currently three options, of which two are most likely to pass.

The Fort Collins City Council will most likely either keep the current codes or will enact stricter property maintenance codes. The ASCSU Senate recently passed a resolution in favor of keeping the current codes.

If the City decides to enact tougher property maintenance codes, you may be responsible for the upkeep yourself or the cost of higher upkeep may be passed on to you.

Now here are some answers to your questions:

“What is Recycle-mania?” Recycle-mania is a competition that encourages colleges to get obsessively active about recycling.

According to Recyclemania.com, the competition’s last 10 weeks test colleges’ ability to minimize waste on campus. The competition is also a way of raising awareness about the environment and environmental issues.

CSU used to hold the coveted number one spot, but as of this week has fallen to number three. Keep recycling and let’s show those kids at Kalamazoo what we’re all about. Keep up the fight, heroes.

The Senate is also looking for more senators. Feel free to stop by the ASCSU office or to visit your local College Council meeting for more information.

If there is an issue you’d like to see in this article, feel free to shoot us your opinion at csuvoice@gmail.com. You can also stop by the ASCSU office in LSC 109, or write on our new board by the door. If you don’t see an answer to your question in this column, or you have a question that is too long for the board in front of our door, please shoot us an e-mail at and we’ll try to get to those eventually.

Byron Moore is a senior political science major and the ASCSU Senate media liaison. ASCSU’s column appears biweekly Mondays in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.