Rail jam tour hits CSU

Authors: Sean Victor Star

Thirty-foot high scaffolding, 15 volunteers and trucks full of snow fresh from the high country will transform the west lawn of the Lory Student Center today into a makeshift terrain park.

The setup, which takes six hours to complete and includes two boxes and one rail, is part of the Campus Rail Jam Tour. Today’s stop at CSU marks the third of 14 the second-year Tour will make throughout the western US.

Competition starts at 2 p.m. and concludes with the finals at 4. Both pro and amateur riders will compete for cash prizes. Registration for the event was due Thursday night.

Those who attend are also eligible for prizes, which include snowboards and goggles. And if the scaffolding and 40 yards of snow don’t catch your eye, the voice of the tour’s MC or the beats from its DJ are likely to grab the attention of your ear.

Ryan Kirkpatrick, co-founder of the tour, said he expects between 30-40 riders to compete.

A week removed from an event at CU-Boulder, the 13 traveling members on the Tour began promoting their event on campus Thursday with a megaphone, skateboard and 1980s-style boom box. The group quickly grew fond of CSU.

“Your campus has been much more accepting (than other Colorado stops),” said Shuan Davey, event coordinator for the Tour.

Eric Singer, a snowboarder who travels with the Tour, is expecting a big turnout today.

“It just seems like there’s a lot more snowboarders on this campus,” Singer said.

Members of the tour said they’re looking forward to today’s stop because of the space available on campus. Other stops, like the one at the University of Denver last week, didn’t provide the riders with enough room.

Sports Editor Sean Star can be reached at sports@collegian.com.