Authors: Collegian Editorail Staff

The Collegian would like to extend our support and condolences to the students, faculty and community surrounding Northern Illinois University. As college students, we should reach out to our colleagues and offer our support, prayers and attention to a growing problem.

Thursday afternoon, students of Northern Illinois University were doing the same things most of us were. Attending classes, planning Valentine’s Day dates and looking forward to the weekend.

And then one man with a gun changed their lives forever. Five people were killed by the gunman, and several others were critically wounded. The killings took place on a day dedicated to love — a grim reminder of the times in which we live.

Shootings on college campuses have become a somewhat “predominant theme,” said Dexter Yarbrough, chief of CSUPD. It’s a horrible concept to grasp. And it’s a fear campus police live with every day.

Thursday’s tragedy reminds us of the pain and sadness college students across the country felt last April when a gunman killed 32 people on the Virginia Tech campus before taking his own life.

But we can work together to prevent that sort of violence here.

CSU is not immune to this kind of hatred. We are a similarly sized school with similar students in a similar community. We each need to do our part each day, so we don’t end up in a similar situation.

Report suspicious behavior to CSUPD. Utilize the university counseling center if you need it. Sign for e-mail and text alerts on Ramweb. And, most importantly, remember to be kind to your fellow Rams.