Clinton and GOP are sinking

Authors: Joseph Haynie

With a recent string of defeats and a poor performance on Super Tuesday, it appears that the Hillary Clinton political machine may be in red alert.

This political Titanic, the most dominant American political actor in recent history and the face of the Democratic Party for the last 20 years, struck an iceberg this week named Barack Obama and has been taking on water fast.

It appears that not even all the tears she can cry will be able to patch up the hole in her campaign’s hull. With Clinton losing significant ground with even some of her most staunch supporters — exit polls from the Potomac primaries indicate that women and whites are jumping ship in favor of Obama — it is apparent that Clinton is in trouble.

Although the news of a possible Clinton defeat is reason for celebration among conservatives and Republicans alike, it will, unfortunately, cost the GOP the White House.

This is because there does not seem to be as much animosity for the front-runner on the Democratic side of the table as there is on the Republican side.

Clinton and Obama are perfect substitutes for one another.

And, unlike the Republicans, who will either stay home or hold their noses as they begrudgingly vote for John McCain, Democrats seem to be as equally as eager to vote for either one.

Obama’s strength is McCain’s weakness and only serves to make a Democratic victory in November seem highly likely.

The fact that the Republicans prefer their presidential nominee to be pickled, and not fresh, also plays into the Democrats’ favor.

America is not ready for a gerontocracy. McCain’s age, despite what some have said, is a problem.

With the stresses attached to the presidency — it is said that for every year in office, one ages three years — voters should be concerned about McCain’s longevity and ability to fulfill his term.

Both Obama and Hillary are significantly younger than the Arizona Senator and therefore do not pose as big of a risk of dying in office.

Now that Hillary is losing ground to the fresher, hipper Obama, this election is beginning to show a lot of similarities to that of the one in 1960.

The only difference is that this time, Democrats will not need dead people to show up at the poles in November. With nearly 20 million voters having hit the polls already, turnout is the least of their problems.

This year, the Democrats are offering America a candidate who, despite having a crippling lack of substance and experience, has been able to inspire even the harshest of critics with his unprecedented oratory skills.

Similar to the 1960 election, 2008 will more than likely have a hip, fresh candidate in one corner and an old, out-of-touch one in the other.

Just like in 1960, Americans will choose something they can believe in, something that inspires.

Although Obama is no John F. Kennedy, he is the heir apparent to the Camelot mantle.

Oddly enough, to the politically obtuse, this is important.

If the GOP wants to keep the White House red, they must hope and pray that Hillary can right her ship and get things going in a proper direction.

Nothing will resolve McCain’s problems courting the conservative base of the Republican Party more than running against Hillary Clinton.

So, don’t celebrate just yet, but rather hope that Hillary can work her witchcraft and get back on top so that we can beat her in November.

Joseph Haynie is a senior political science major. His column appears Fridays in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.