You know things are bad when the only way to escape the cycle of poverty, for many, is to commit a felony.

In the state of Colorado, you must have a birth certificate to get any form of identification. This is where the problem starts.

According to the Colorado Department of Health and Environment, in order to get a copy of your birth certificate, you must have another form of valid ID — and a Social Security card doesn’t cut it.

If you are from out of state, you must have a valid ID and a home mailing address. So, if you don’t have a home, you’re out of luck.

Moreover, if you have no means to prove your identity to prospective employers, you also can’t get a legitimate job.

If you can’t get a job, you have no way to pay rent. Unless, of course, you turn to crime.

So, for many homeless Americans, it is nearly impossible to legitimately escape the cycle of poverty.

The solution is apparent.

Defacing public property, punching strangers in the face, exposing yourself to old women, urinating on cultural heritage sites, digging up graves, breaking into the governor’s mansion and resisting arrest, while not exactly socially acceptable, are all perfectly good ways to put your name in the system and let the government know that you are there.

When you get out of prison, you have plenty of documentation and are good to go.

We feel it is in the interest of everyone that homeless citizens be given an alternative. Seriously, do we need all this red tape?