Feb 102008
 
Authors:

While I applaud LSC dining services for their devoted efforts in being environmentally friendly, the Feb. 8 article “LSC offers corn-based dining disposables” raised some serious concerns with me.

I, along with many other people, am a sufferer of severe allergies. Contact with these allergens can cause hives, extreme hay fever, or even trigger asthma attacks.

Among these allergens is corn.

It is hard enough to find something on the menu that is corn-free without having to worry about it being present in the straws, plates and napkins. I am sure that I am not alone in this concern.

I have noticed the signs in several campus dining halls that designate “Peanut-Free Zones” for those with peanut allergies.

All I ask is that LSC food vendors post a similar sign, alerting those with corn allergies to the potential dangers of their dining disposables.

It would also be helpful if a small amount of standard, plastic wares were also kept on hand and given out by request.

I am very excited to see the dining administrators take charge of going “green.” I am simply requesting that some courtesy be given to those of us with food allergies.

Chelsea DeLong

Sophomore, Biomedical sciences

 Posted by at 5:00 pm

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.