Authors: Alexandra Sieh

Keith Foskin, accomplished artist, CSU employee and loving friend, died Sunday, Feb. 3 from a heart attack. He was 51 years old.

Born and raised in St. Louis, Missouri, Foskin spent his childhood with his twin brother, Kevin Foskin. Hoping to pursue a degree in art, he found home in Fort Collins at CSU in the mid-1970s.

A diligent student, Foskin explored all aspects of art and history. Fred Enssle, retired CSU professor of European history and long time friend of Foskin, remembers Foskin’s enthusiasm toward learning. Finding a passion for Enssle’s courses, he spent much of his time talking with Enssle.

“Not many people appreciate both theoretical thought and visual art,” Enssle said.

Foskin often spoke with Enssle outside of classes, and from their conversations grew a life-long friendship.

“At first he was a student getting to know his professor, but eventually it was the professor who learned from his student,” Enssle said. “I’m mourning much more than an accomplished student. I’m mourning a friend.”

Graduating with a master’s degree in fine art, Foskin went on to perfect his artwork. A painter and beginner sculptor, Foskin developed his art, learning from different experiences and artists.

After years of passionate dedication, Foskin acquired a reputation for his artwork, submitting it to various art shows and exhibits.

A showing of his art recently opened at Northeastern Community College in Sterling. His artwork can also be found on the College of Liberal Arts Web site.

Foskin returned to CSU in 2000 as Webmaster for the College of Liberal Arts.

After receiving the position, he found passion in his job, working full time to create Web sites that not only display his work, but also illustrate the College of Liberal Arts’ accomplishments. Foskin also found a passion for teaching, occasionally taking on art classes on campus.

He is survived by his brother, who is also an employee in the College of Liberal Arts dean’s office. The brothers worked together to showcase accomplishments of the college and its students.

Since he began his work here, he has set a high standard for the College of Liberal Arts.

“Keith was a wonderful artist,” said Ann Gill, Dean of the College of Liberal Arts. “He cared deeply about the welfare of his fellow human beings, and lived his life with integrity and passion.”

Those who knew Foskin say he was committed to his work and his relationships, giving all he could to what mattered most to him.

“Keith was one of the fine people,” Enssle said. “He had it together. He had one of the most charming personalities you could ever imagine.”

There will not be a public memorial service, but Foskin’s family asks those wanting to express condolences to donate to the College of Liberal Arts master’s students in painting. Any contributions made to Keith’s memory can be sent to Kim Tobin at the College of Liberal Arts.

Staff writer Alexandra Sieh can be reached at news@collegian.

Breakout: Anyone interested in viewing Foskin’s work can find samples at and

www.colostate.edu/colleges/LibArts/kf and www.abstractearth.com/artist_bio.asp?artist_id=97.