Rams hope to snap slide

Authors: Matt L. Stephens

It is said that one is the loneliest number. But in today’s world of women’s college basketball, if you place two lonely ones side by side to get 11, you’ll find yourself near the bottom of the barrel, and exactly where the CSU women’s basketball team resides with its 11-game losing streak.

The Rams (2-18, 0-7) are currently tied with Eastern Washington for the 5th longest active losing streak in Division I basketball (Fordham holds the longest at 22) and it doesn’t look to get any easier.

The Lobos of New Mexico (11-9, 3-4) storm into Moby Arena tonight hot off a 94-64 route of Nevada-Las Vegas on Saturday to take on the struggling Rams.

Despite both schools having very different seasons thus far, they both share one statistic that could fall in favor of CSU: consistently poor shooting. And if the Rams can get high percentage shots, they could have a chance to upset, but those quality inside shots have been few and far between for CSU this year.

“Our big crux is we still have to find ways to get the ball in the basket,” coach Jen Warden said in a statement released by the University after the loss at Utah on Saturday.

If CSU is going to be able to get to the basket, other than Juanise Cornell and Amakah Uzomah’s constant presence in the paint, it’s going to need help off the bench from sophomore Emily Neal and her ability to penetrate to the basket and make things happen both on and off the ball.Coach Warden has made it clear, however, that even if the Rams are prepared for their opposition, they may not be ready, as has been the case for most conference match-ups this season.

“I think that there is a difference between being prepared and being ready. The intangibles, readiness and toughness need to be there,” Warden said.

If those factors aren’t present for CSU tonight at Moby, it could very easily be another night of frustration and forced shots.

Sports writer Matt L. Stephens can be reached at sports@collegian.com.