Later today, you have a chance to be a part of something that hasn’t been considered important in a long time: the Colorado caucus.

You’ll have a chance, that is, if you met the extremely early Dec. 5 registration deadline. And, well, as long as you decided to affiliate yourself with a specific party — sorry Independents. Unfortunately, Colorado runs its race pretty tight, so tough luck to anyone missing out.

If it’s any compensation, being a spectator might be just as fun for your ordinary apathetic 20-year-old.

This year’s election has seen a massive youth surge unlike anything we’ve seen since 18-year-olds were given the right to vote in 1972.

And from what we’ve seen so far, they’re not just turning out to the vote in November; more young people across America are working as staffers and volunteers for campaigns, and even more plan to attend a preliminary election to vote for a candidate to support their party.

It goes without saying that students are familiar with the names of “Hillary,” “McCain,” “Obama” and even “Paul,” and are likely talking about them more than last week’s rerun of “Grey’s Anatomy;” perhaps some good really has come out of Hollywood’s writer’s strike.

No, this year’s election is more exciting than anything else on TV because people are pissed and every candidate is offering his/her own brand of change.

Our country is approaching the end of a decade, and we’re leaving it with a boatload of a lot more problems than what we had going into it. If voters had put as much thought into their primary/caucus vote as they did in 2000, things would be less lousy.

So, unless you fail to meet the requirements listed at the top, put the studying aside and attend your caucus.

It’s time the politicos recognize youth as the hefty chunk of the vote that it is.