Authors: Katy Hallock

Bustling activity has a once very well organized, everything-in-its-place law firm office is quickly turning upside down as Super Tuesday creeps closer.

“I’m really sorry for the mess,” a staffer said of the new Fort Collins Barack Obama campaign office. “When (we) first came, (we) organized and filed things.”

The campaign office, which now occupies the old building, has bustled since mid-January with growing anxiety for Feb. 5, when Colorado and 23 other states will choose their presidential candidate.

In the parking lot, most cars are plastered with Obama bumper stickers. Posters, stickers and shirts line the walls just inside the door. The volunteers and staff are covered in Obama campaign merchandise.

The office is full of flyers about the candidate and his idealistic policies on everything from women’s rights to the war in Iraq.

Fort Collins residents, college students, business people, housewives and staff from all over the country make phone calls to advocate political participation to Fort Collins registered Democrats and to make sure they will caucus on Tuesday, be it for Obama or another candidate.

The average day in the life of a campaign staffer consists of arriving at the office in the early morning to coordinate volunteers for the day, making phone calls by 9 a.m. and sending literature via snail-mail until about midnight.

The building even has what the staff calls a “toy room” where many CSU students make calls in a much louder, rambunctious environment.

The prison cell-sized room, designed to hold three people, held about ten students Thursday afternoon. They all shared one computer and three phones and joked with one another while making calls.

Obama campaigners for the most part work at the office around the clock with very few breaks. It’s a constantly moving environment. But everyone stays light-hearted despite the lack of sleep.

“As the caucus gets closer, we try to joke and have a good time, ’cause the closer it gets, we get three hours of sleep a night,” said one staffer who wanted to remain anonymous.

Dave Gearey, a staffer with the campaign, said because of the huge community response to the campaign’s efforts, Super Tuesday’s attendance will be bigger than any in the history of Colorado caucuses.

“We are expecting a much bigger turn-out to caucus than in 2004, which only had about 12,000 participants,” he said.

Between 30 and 50 people walk in each day to ask about the caucus and the campaign. Almost all of them sign up to volunteer, but about 50 percent of them actually show up, Gearey said.

Byron Moore, a political science major, said it no matter who one plans to vote for, every student should show their support on caucus night.

“No matter what your affiliation, just get out there.” Moore said,

Staff writer Katy Hallock can be reached at news@collegian.com.