Recent reports say everything is beautiful in Colorado.

Statistics say Colorado hosts many cities leading in climate change research, the job market is diverse and Colorado is the least obese state in the nation.

Life is good — until we come to education.

While more and more students around the nation are paying for a larger piece of their education with student loans instead of state grants and scholarships, Colorado students have been hit especially hard as the state has slipped to 48th in higher education funding.

Concerned legislators have put higher education as one of the highest ticket items on the State Budget Committee’s docket, but some state legislators say Colorado would have to add $830 million yearly for the next 10 years to be at par with the national average.

This is particularly troubling as out of state labor has started invading Colorado’s research-based job market, which experts say is stimulated by education, as the state’s number of bachelor’s degrees is decreasing.

We at the Collegian believe the state needs to reorganize its priorities, put higher education in a higher slot on the agenda, even if it means raising taxes.

We, of all people, don’t particularly want the government dipping their grubby fishhooks in our pockets, but if it means Colorado will stay competitive, it needs to be done.

We understand that any tax hikes will require significant revision of the Taxpayer’s Bill of Rights (TABOR), but what’s more important — a restrictive piece of legislation or our state’s future? We think the latter.