Authors: J. David McSwane

Members of the Sigma Chi fraternity are moving out of their house after an “ancient” boiler stopped working to heat the house.

The house, at 1504 Remington Street, is owned by the CSU Foundation, a non-profit organization that manages donations for the university.

When the fraternity reported the problem Tuesday afternoon, the Foundation offered to pay for the 11 members to stay in a hotel, said Dell Rae Moellenberg, a university spokesperson.

But some members chose to remain in the un-heated house while the university scrambles to find a place for them to live.

“They’re developing a plan for a more permanent accommodation,” she said. “(The CSU Foundation is) definitely trying to figure out how to accommodate those students for the rest of the semester . and the university real estate office is working with them, checking in on an hourly basis.”

And CSU maintenance workers are investigating repairing or replacing the boiler, she added, which is more than 50 years old.

Ram’s Village is one of several places the university has contacted to accommodate the fraternity members.

Mark Watts, Ram’s Village property manager, said he got a call Thursday morning from the university.

“We do have some apartments available for them,” Watts said. “Without heat, that’s pretty quick, but we will try to help where we can.”

A four-room apartment at Ram’s village would cost each member $410 a month, according to the company’s Web site.

The house, built in 1924, is leased to Sigma Chi members on a month-to-month basis, and rent ranges from $425-$450 a month, Moellenberg said.

Scott Leturno, Sigma Chi president, did not return calls or e-mails from the Collegian.

Editor-in-Chief J. David McSwane can be reached at editor@collegian.com.