Authors: Shayna Grajo

Students and community members have the opportunity to learn about stress solutions, alternative health practices and holistic wellbeing at the fourth-annual CSU Mind Body Fair Tuesday in the Lory Student Center.

Featuring panel discussions, workshops, community vendors and a keynote address about physical, mental and overall wellness management, the event is free to students.

“There’s a vast, expansive area of different modalities that refer to the mind-body connection,” said Tamar Cline, the Assistant Director of Fitness for Campus Recreation and the event’s committee chair.

The fair aims to raise awareness of complimentary and alternative wellness modalities, or “mind-body” practices, across campus and the Fort Collins community.

Workshop topics include yoga, massage, acupuncture, diet, meditation, laughter, aromatherapy and more. Vendors for the event consist of over 30 CSU department representatives and Fort Collins businesses.

“When people think of exercise, they think of weight training and running on the treadmill,” Cline said. “I want to help people on campus realize all the other potential practices out there.”

This is the first year that the Hartshorn Health Center and the University Counseling Center have teamed up with Campus Recreation to present the event. With a grant from the Division of Student Affairs Parent Fund, the Wellness Cluster worked since June to broaden appeal and accessibility of the fair by moving the venue location, adding workshops and contacting new vendors.

Cline hopes the fair will provide attendees with an informative, interactive and fun experience while enhancing CSU’s stronghold in wellness education.

“Colorado State is a leader in wellness. Period,” she said.

The fair begins noon in LSC room 228, with a panel discussion, titled “How do we use the mind-body connection to facilitate wellness?” The panel will be composed of a Chinese medicine practitioner, yoga practitioner, medical doctor and naturopathic psychologist.

Following the discussion, diverse workshops will be held from 3:30 to 6:30 p.m. in the upper level of the LSC.

“Students can expect to learn a great deal more about their own bodies and how they work,” said Carol McDaniel, certified massage therapist, who’ll present a workshop on the lymphatic system.

The vendor fair will be 4 to 6:45 p.m. in the Main Ballroom, and unlike past years, said Cline, every single vendor booth will be interactive. Attendees will be offered a hands-on experience at each booth, such as a chair massage. The vendor fair will also showcase performance groups and demonstrations in partner yoga and tai chi.

A keynote address from 7 to 8:30 p.m. in the North Ballroom will conclude the fair. The address, “Walking in Balance: Reflections on Stress and Human Spirituality,” will be presented by Brian Luke Seaward, who instructed stress management at the White House from 1990-1994.

A full description of all events and workshops can be found at the website, http://www.mindbodyfair.colostate.edu. Pre-registration is available for workshops, though not required.

Staff writer Shayna Grajo can be reached at news@collegian.com.