Authors: Matt L. Stephens

The CSU women’s basketball team hosts the 18th-ranked Wyoming Cowgirls Saturday in the 72nd addition of the Border War. The Rams (2-15, 0-4) lead the all-time series with the Cowgirls (17-1, 5-0) 40-31 with more than half of CSU’s wins coming in Fort Collins.

CSU’s loss Wednesday night to Air Force put the Rams in an unprecedented bind — a legitimate possibility of not winning another game this season. Despite acknowledging the reality of how this season has gone, the Rams are still optimistic about what they can do.

“The one thing we know is that if we can beat [Wyoming], we can beat anybody,” sophomore Juanise Cornell said. “If we do that, we should go unbeaten the rest of the year.”

An upset against Wyoming Saturday would be monstrous for the CSU women’s basketball program and would put at least one bright spot on the season, but third-year head coach Jen Warden seems to be more concerned with her Rams not beating themselves for a change rather than getting a “W” in the record books.

“I think we have our hands full with ourselves,” Warden said, “If we hit our layups in practice, we’re gonna hit them in games, but we’re the last team that should act surprised that a product like this comes out on the floor . We’ve gone through scrimmages when we have a hard time scoring on each other.”

If the Rams are going to find an “X-Factor” against Wyoming, it’s going to be one of two things: One, the ability to penetrate to the basket and put the Cowgirl’s All-American candidate Hanna Zavecz into early foul trouble; two, Amaka Uzomah must keep Zavecz out of the paint while the Rams are on the defensive end of the ball.

Uzomah has been working hard all season to bring herself back into form and become the type of player she was a year ago at Blinn College in Texas — her efforts are close to earning her the starting spot at center.

“Amaka is a force to be reckoned with right now,” Warden said. “If you want to talk about fruits of labor, Amaka is living it.”

Saturday’s tip off is set for 2:00 p.m. at Moby Arena.

Sports writer Matt L. Stephens can be reached at sports@collegian.com.

CSU Rams (2-15, 0-4)

Sara Hunter – G – 5-6 10.4

Bonnie Barbie – G 5-8 4.0

Britney Minor – F 5-10 6.0

Juanise Cornell – F 5-10 8.5

Amaka Uzomah – C 6-0 0.6

Wyoming Cowgirls (17-1, 5-0)

ZAVECZ, Hanna – F 6-0 14.8

PODZIEMSKA, Justyna – F 6-2 12.4

VANDERJAGT, Rebecca – C 6-3 4.1

BOLERJACK, Jodi – G 5-9 8.8

SISK, Dominique – G 5-10 4.8