Authors: Matthew Pucak

The Rams and Cowboys might be struggling going into Saturday’s first skirmish of the Border War rivalry, but it won’t be without firepower.

The Rams (6-12, 0-4) and the Wyoming Cowboys (6-11, 0-5) both need to get a win in conference play to get their confidence going, and both teams will look to their prolific backcourts in order to lead them.

The highlighted match up will consist of the top two scores in the league, as the Rams’ Marcus Walker will take on Wyoming’s Brandon Ewing. Walker is averages 17.6 points per contest, and Ewing is just behind him averaging 17.5 points.

Neither player is their team’s sole talent in the backcourt, as Brad Jones has averaged 12.6 points for Wyoming, while Willis Gardner has chipped in12 points a game on the season.

While Walker has “gotten to know his role” as a scorer in the last few weeks, Rams head coach Tim Miles feels that one of keys to a victory will be if Gardner can go back to his early season form.

“Willis was playing well early in the season, and he kind of hit a lull after winter break. He hasn’t been playing as well as before, and we need him to get back to that level. I expect him to have a good game Saturday,” Miles said.

Shutting down Ewing and Jones will be crucial to a Rams win, but they also know the Cowboys aren’t just a two man team.

“Wyoming worries me a great deal with their two guards. They are great players and they also have a lot of talent and athleticism in their forwards,” said Miles, who along with Wyoming coach Heath Schroyer, is prepping for his first Border War.

Wyoming has more experience in the Border War than the Rams, as with Stuart Creason still out with a foot injury, the Rams have only one player with any experience against the Cowboys, and that is center Ronnie Aguilar, who played minimally in CSU’s 86-68 win to close out last season.

“I don’t know that much about it, but I am expecting some big things, kind of like the Missouri-Kansas rivalry,” Walker said. “I just know that I am going to have to go out and bring energy it for all the people watching.”

CSU WYO

23 Aguilar, Ronnie c 13 Mikhail Linskens c

13 McFarland, Andre f 20 Joseph Taylor F

12 NIGON, Adam f 45 Ryan Dermody F

04 Walker, Marcus g 23 Brandon Ewing G

43 Gardner, Willis g 1 Brad Jones G