A new challenge for Penley

The Associated Students of CSU welcomed Blanche Hughes, vice president of Student Affairs, to the senate chambers floor Wednesday to discuss with students Penley’s consideration of a proposal from Gannett as to a possible takeover of the Collegian.

While it was refreshing to see a friendly, communicative voice from a notoriously under-the-radar administration, it was obvious Dr. Hughes, accompanied by Anne Hudgens, executive director of Student Affairs, had little to no direction.

Her presentation — a series of “I don’t knows” and ambiguities — did relieve some of the tension, however. Dr. Hughes promised ASCSU and Student Media leaders a spot on a new “advisory group” charged with reviewing any proposals of a change in governance of the Collegian — Penley’s damage control.

Technically, Dr. Hughes oversees Student Media, as it lies under the Student Affairs umbrella, but it became clear in her presentation last night — she’s been thrown a hot potato.

A smart ASCSU senator asked who owns the Collegian, to which she responded, “Um, I don’t know.”

Penley’s rubbing elbows with corporate media, and his administration has yet to answer the most fundamental of questions. Penley would have opened up dialogue before hosting closed-door meetings if he truly cared about the student voice.

To this, his administration says a strong relationship with the Coloradoan warranted a private meeting. Is your relationship with Gannett really more important than that of students?

We’re game to talk. We’ll be on campus, paying your salary.