Authors: Sean Star

A week ago when new CSU football coach Steve Fairchild announced the final additions to his coaching staff, there was little to get excited about.

Except for the hiring of Curtis Modkins as offensive coordinator.

Modkins came from Georgia Tech, where he helped produced one of the best running attacks in the Atlantic Coast Conference for the last half decade.

In his five years as running backs coach, the Yellow Jackets had a player lead the ACC in rushing three times — proof that Modkins is an up and coming coaching talent and exactly what the Rams needed to help reinvigorate their ho-hum offense.

All that promise went south Wednesday, well actually east, when Modkins left the Rams to take a job with the Kansas City Chiefs as a running backs coach.

For those who are counting, that’s nine total days on the job.

However, it’s pretty clear to see why Modkins’ stint in Fort Collins was shorter than Earl Boykins.

Modkins was hired last Monday. Then on Wednesday, his former boss at Georgia Tech, Chan Gailey, was hired as Kansas City’s offensive coordinator.

Now, a week later, it’s announced that Modkins has decided to follow Gailey to the AFC West.

And some were worried that a head coaching change was going to cause recruits to leave.

“Certainly we’re sad to see Curtis leave,” Fairchild said in a statement.

Ram fans should be sad too.

Modkins represented a hope that Fairchild and his new staff are going to rescue CSU’s offensive play-calling from the late 90’s.

Now that’s not to say that all is lost without him.

Modkins’ position is being filled by a guy with 12 more years of coaching experience in former Washington State assistant Greg Peterson, who was initially hired last week to coach the wide receivers.

But for some reason, Peterson just doesn’t get ignite the same excitement that Modkins did.

So, to fill the empty spot, Fairchild hired Anthony Hill as running backs coach.

Hill, like Fairchild, will remind Ram faithful of the glory years of the green and gold.

In 1994, Hill quarterbacked CSU to a historical 10-2 record and a top 15 national ranking.

Hill has little collegiate coaching experience, but at 36, he does bring a sense of youth to the Rams coaching staff.

And like Fairchild said, “When Anthony was here, we proved that CSU could win 10 games, play in big bowl games and get into those national polls. We don’t have to prove that it can be done.”

Fairchild’s certainly correct. The success of past Ram teams is well documented.

What’s to be proven is whether that success will return.

Sports writer Sean Star can be reached at sports@collegian.com.