Authors: Collegian Staff Report

CSU indoor track and field’s Jason Schutz helped Rams start their season successfully Saturday in Laramie, Wyo., as the senior from Chromo set a personal best in the 35-pound weight throw with a toss of 66 feet, 1.75 inches.

The throw placed Schutz second in the Wyoming Open and surpassed the provisional qualifying mark.

“Jason’s throw wasn’t a surprise to me,” said track and field coach Brian Bedard through a statement released by the athletic department. “It is a really good opener for him. I figured he would throw 65 or better this season and it was nice to start out this way. He just looks so much more comfortable this season after his experiences last year.”

Junior Alex Godell and senior Stacey Poulos also set personal bests in the weight throw with tosses of 61 feet, 8.5 inches and 56 feet, 11.75 inches, respectively.

After making all 33 of his point-after-attempts for the football team earlier this fall, senior Jason Smith started off his second varsity sport of the year well by setting a lifetime best in the triple jump with a leap of 49 feet, 3 inches, which placed him second.

Junior Alex Lockhart, men’s high jump; sophomore Sonni Russell, women’s high jump; senior Ashleigh Morton, women’s pole vault and Melissa Faubus, women’s pole vault, each won their respective events.

“We got a feel for how we are today and it all comes down to what the kids do with it,” Bedard continued. “Now we just have to see how people come back after break. Some people got some wakeup calls and I think we will be in good shape for later in the season.”