Slackers of CSU rejoice.

Faculty Council overheard arguments on Tuesday for and against reform of the plus/minus grading policy on campus and came to the conclusion that some adjustments are warranted.

Next year, in a close vote, it was decided that the grades D-, D+ and C- will no longer be used for any course at the University. However, all remaining plus/minus grades will remain unchanged.

We think this is a poor decision.

While many students may hate the current system, we feel that more will be hurt than helped by this new policy.

For one, this creates another inconsistency in what is already an extremely inconsistent system.

As it stands right now, whether or not a class uses plus/minus grading lies completely within the discretion of the professor. This means, in the same class, but in different sections, two students receiving the same percentage could receive different grades.

In addition, students that have taken classes under the old grading system could be put at a disadvantage. If these students received a C- in a course of study that doesn’t accept C- as a passing grade could have to retake classes, while newer students that earn the same percentage could slide by.

The issue at hand is not a matter of an unfair scale, but rather a lack of uniformity campus-wide.

Rather than passing new regulations that only have implications for lower performing students, the Faculty Council should instead focus its energy on making the grading scale more consistent.