Authors: Byron Moore, Sara Goldman

Read the headline? Good. Now that we have your attention, let’s talk.

We hear on a daily basis that students don’t know what the ASCSU Senate does.

How many of you reading this even know what ASCSU stands for? None?

Well, it’s the Associated Student of CSU, your student government. In an effort to further inform students about what’s going on in student government, the Collegian will be running an occasional ASCSU column.

Together, we are going to get a rundown of what’s going on in Senate.

Voter registration: If you want to vote in the primaries or caucuses, you have to register with a party by Wednesday, Dec. 5. Swing by the ASCSU office to register now.

Library: Senate is working to extend library hours. Throw your support behind this effort by contacting the library and letting them know what you think or by sending an e-mail to csulibraryhours@gmail.com.

Textbook prices: ASCSU Senate is trying to get you, the students, cheaper textbooks, but we need your help.

Stop by our office and write a letter to local state legislators or check out www.leg.state.co.us, click on “contact” and give your legislators a call.

Student fees: Twenty CSU students are working to minimize the rise in student fees next year. Join us at the Student Fee Review Board meetings on Mondays at 3 p.m. to make sure your opinion is heard.

Plus/minus grading: Your student government is representing student interest by participating in faculty committees that will shape the grading policy in future years. Let us know how you feel about plus/minus grading.

One percent for art: ASCSU Senate has passed legislation to have one percent of the budget for new buildings to go toward art pieces created by local artists. Look for these works of art in a new building near you.

So, there you have it.

You know the drill. If you like what you read, don’t like what you read or just have an opinion, don’t be afraid to stop by room 109 of the Lory Student Center, across from the Curfman gallery.

You can also call us at (970) 491-5931 or check out our Web site at ascsu@colostate.edu. Or, if you don’t feel like doing that, e-mail us at csuvoice@gmail.com.

P.S. RamRide will not be running this week. We’re also working on that whole efficiency thing.

Byron Moore is a junior political science major and the ASCSU senate media liason. Sara Goldman is a sophomore open option major seeking journalism and the chair of the ASCSU university issues committee. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.