Authors: Sean Reed

When we hear about the issue of media portrayals of body image, we almost automatically think about the negative affects it has on women.

Studies show that although an ideal female body image is more often perpetuated in the media, the gender gap has been closing over the past 20 years.

However, women, the most common victims, are not the only ones affected.

More and more men are becoming uncomfortable with the hair that used to be on their heads that is now springing up on undesirable areas of their bodies and the kegs that are now sprouting over their former six-packs.

More and more men are affected by eating disorders, according to Rader Programs, an organization committed to eradicating low self-esteem from body image issues.

Perpetuating the issue is the general focus on body image effects on the female psyche, which portrays the problem of eating disorders as a female one. But eating disorders are diseases and diseases, with few possible exceptions, don’t tend to discriminate on the basis of sex.

Moreover, men with eating disorders might feel they are immune because they are men, preventing them from realizing they have a problem and seeking help.

We at the Collegian don’t want to downplay the effects body image in the media have on women, but we want people to realize that these are issues that can affect anybody.

We want to let men out there who are overcompensating for their new “five” head glare with an equally shiny brand new red Ferrari know that they are just as beautiful as the male runway model showing off his chiseled abs and hairless pecks.