Authors: Cece Wildeman

A group of 12 CSU students and faculty members is one of many small clubs across the country participating in a national movement to launch a two-day educational program about global warming on Jan. 30 and 31.

Focus the Nation, an organization committed to informing people about global warming, has recruited more than 1,000 institutions to participate in the event.

For the CSU chapter of Focus the Nation, the planning is still in its early stages. So far, the event plans include a Web cast that will be shown simultaneously at all of the participating locations, a series of short talks, two longer talks, various hands-on activities and a political forum.

Universities across the nation are collaborating forces the same weekend to promote climate change awareness.

“Doing this gives me a sense of community and collaboration,” said Katie Shapiro an English graduate student and group member. “The energy (that comes from planning the event) is great too.”

The group will discuss topics ranging from environmental ethics, individual carbon contribution, climate change and its effects on forests and making construction more environmentally friendly.

The plans will need to be near complete as Christmas break approaches, said Sue Ellen Campbell, an English professor and one of the event coordinators.

By the time school resumes Campbell and her colleagues expect that the event plans will only need a bit of fine-tuning.

While the CSU group said that their goal is to bring more awareness to students and involve faculty, as well as the community, the national goal is to make sure elected officials know about the event.

The larger goal of Focus the Nation is to bring awareness of global warming and offer solutions.

“This is basically a concentrated version of what’s necessary over the next 5 to 10 years,” said John Calderazzo, an English professor and one of the coordinators of the event.

For Calderazzo it is extremely gratifying that faculty members want to participate, while Campbell enjoys working with the students who are involved.

“The fun part has been getting to meet these lively, engaged students who have been putting in the time,” Campbell said.

Other colleges involved with Focus the Nation include CU Boulder, Metro State, Denver University, CU Colorado Springs and Colorado School of Mines.

Senior Reporter Cece Wildeman can be reached at news@collegian.com.