LTTE: What a waste of money

Students are all too aware of the increasing cost of attending CSU.

I am therefore surprised that with all the discussion lately about Sonny Lubick being fired as coach of the football team, there hasn’t been any talk about the tremendous cost of this move to the university and all students.

First, be aware that even if Sonny decides to completely retire, which he has every right to do, he will still receive his $259,000 salary for the next two years.

If he chooses to accept a public relations position (which basically is meeting with, shaking hands and encouraging wealthy potential financial donors) he will receive an additional $75,000 a year.

Keep in mind that the other assistant coaches that also are leaving will also receive their base salaries over the coming months.

Now also, over the next few months, dozens of potential replacement coaches will be flown in to Fort Collins for interviews from all over the country and given the first class treatment.

Guess who pays for those airline tickets, hotels and fancy dinners out on the town? And rest assured, the new coach will surely be offered at least some increase over Sonny’s salary.

And all of this expense for what? Because one man, the athletic director, was unhappy that we didn’t have a winning season!

I like a winning team as much as the next person – everybody likes a winner – but this is ridiculous.

Of course, there is no guarantee that the new coach will produce a winner.

In fact, he may do worse than Sonny would have over the coming years.

Next time you write out a check to CSU for your tuition, you may want to think about this.

Jonathan Zeif

CSU Alumnus