According to a poll conducted by ASCSU members, 71 percent of students at CSU support the elimination of the plus and minus grading system at the university. Even more, arguably, support some kind of modification to such a grading system, particularly the removal of the C-.

But what students fail to realize is that without pluses and minuses, CSU would lose a considerable amount of academic credibility. There’s no doubt that the erosion of the plus and minus would be lift a huge burden off the backs of students who find themselves stuck between a C and a C-. It’s easy to argue that C- students don’t deserve to be forced into a repeat-delete situation. They’d argue that a C- is still a C, and ought to be considered worth credit.

But where does one draw the line? Shouldn’t CSU students be held to a certain standard when it comes to grades? A college experience is many things, but an education ought to be the single most important thing.

Students that graduate from a university that works without a plus and minus grade system will face heavy challenges when they apply for a position. In today’s competitive market, companies deserve to know the specifics when it comes to a student’s academics, so that they might make the best choice for their company.

College rankers will be watching too; should the plus and minus system be removed from CSU, schools that implement the system will gain a significant rise in credibility over our university.

What members of the ASCSU need to focus on is removing grade discrepancy between classes; it is truly unfair for Student A to get a C while Student B gets a C- when both students have a 72 percent, but with different professors.