Authors: Aaron Hedge

Student government discussed controversial proposals to change CSU grading policy to not include certain grade levels Wednesday night. One of the proposals would eliminate a plus or minus effect on students’ grade point averages altogether from the system, while the other would strike effects from C-, D+ and D-.

The reason for the proposals is the current policy can cause equality discrepancies between different sections of the same class.

In the current system, a C- results in a grade point average of 1.667, a failing grade.

“What we’re dealing with right now is an inconsistent system,” said ASCSU President Katie Gleeson.

Dan Palmer, director of Academics at the Associated Students of CSU (ASCSU) used the example of CO 150.

He said if one of two sections of the composition class is taught by an instructor who uses plus/minus grading and the other section by an instructor who doesn’t, students in the different sections earning the same percentage would exit the class with different grade point averages.

If two students in the opposing sections each earned a 72 percent in the class, the student under the instructor who uses plus/minus grading would have a C- and would be required to retake the class, while the other student would receive a passing grade.

Faculty council will discuss the measure in the Tuesday meeting, which faculty members expect to see heated debate.

“There are as many opinions on the . grading proposal as there are people you could ask about it,” said Faculty Council Chair Robert Jones.

A year ago, students at CSU were largely in favor of changes to the grading system.

ASCSU conducted an online opinion survey last fall asking students what they thought of the current grading system — which Faculty Council approved a decade ago after ASCSU proposed it — the results of which reflected a largely unfavorable student opinion.

Over 60 percent of students said the grading system had affected their GPA negatively and nearly the same number of students reported they had noticed discrepancies in the system. Nearly 90 percent of students who participated in the poll wanted a change in the system.

ASCSU released a similar poll this semester, the results of which will be finalized this weekend.

Assistant News Editor Aaron Hedge can be reached at news@collegian.com.