Authors: Anica Wong

After winning both the Mountain West Conference and Mountain Region Championships, the CSU women’s cross country team heads to Indiana on Monday to race against the best in the nation.

“From summer to now we have all done everything we can to be successful on Monday,” runner Heather Loseke said.

The Rams will compete against 30 other teams at the NCAA National Championship in Terre Haute, Ind. Last year, the Rams finished 24th at the national meet, while Stanford finished first, edging out Colorado. Since 1996, the women’s team has gone to the national meet every year except 2002 and 2005.

April Thomas led the team last year with a 42nd place finish, barely missing being honored as an All-American by two spots.

Going in ranked as the 12th team in the nation this year, the women look to finish within the top 10 teams.

“We are physically ready, we are mentally ready and we are super excited after conference and regionals. These last two wins were huge accomplishments,” Kristen Hemphill said. “And I think it will definitely give us a push of momentum going into nationals.”

Head Coach Bryan Berryhill, who will be named the Mountain Region Coach of the Year, believes that if this team works together throughout the race, as they have in the past, they will do very well.

The Rams have been taking it easy this past week, making sure the team stays healthy and limber while doing some light runs and cross-training workouts.

But despite the small respite they have had this week from the usually grueling workouts during the season, the women are ready to go out and run the race that they have been training for all year.

“We are ready to go to nationals,” Allison Gohl said. “We know it is going to be a challenging race, but we are ready.”

Cross country beat reporter Anica Wong can be reached at sports@collegian.com.